Thursday 14 February 2008

Beef curry in coconut milk



The curries I like best are those simmered in coconut milk, so that's what I did here. I didn't use any particular recipe, just curry basics: fry onion, ginger and garlic in oil until soft but not coloured, add curry spice to taste. Then the cubed meat goes in, and you brown it slightly. Then you add the coconut milk and water to cover the lot and leave it to simmer for a couple of hours, checking to make sure it doesn't boil dry. The liquid should reduce down to a gravy that clings to the meat.
Stir in some garam masala towards the end, to round out the flavours, and check for salt at the same time.

Normally I would like to do a couple of sambals with a curry, such as yogurt, cucumber, chopped tomato and onion. In fact, I had none of these in the house. I did have a mango, and a wonderful sambal it made!

Instead of rice, I steam-fried some aubergine and then mashed it coarsely. It wasn't a great mix with the curry, because aubergine has a particular taste; it's not a bland vegetable. But it was all I had. If I were shopping particularly for this meal, I would get cauliflower, which goes with everything.

No comments: