Friday 15 February 2008

Sole with Lemon Butter



Sole is one of my favourite fishes. We used to get quite nice frozen baby soles in South Africa, so when I saw frozen sole here I bought some and stuck it in the freezer for one of those days.

Well, today was one of those days, so I whipped out two soles. Unfortunately it seems that these soles should have defrosted in the fridge first - and not be cooked from frozen as is usually the case. Tough. I pan fried it from frozen in butter, then used the same pan to make lemon butter sauce. This is easy, just melt some butter (however much looks good to you, a couple of tablespoons is more than enough for two people) and let it get slightly brown, then stir in some lemon juice (how lemony do you like it? I never measure the lemon, I just add it until it smells right, but you could taste it I guess.)

I served the sole with lettuce, tomato and carrot salad.

It was a little tasteless, much like the sole I had in England. Whether this is because it was cooked from frozen, or because it's just naturally tasteless, I'll only know next time I cook it - then I will defrost it in advance, as suggested.

But I suspect that fresh sole from the fish shop is still the way to go.

No comments: