Wednesday 27 February 2008

Roast chicken with herb butter

Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take a photo before eating. Probably because the cooking did not go smoothly.

It started off when I saw recipe for Roast chicken with sorrel butter in one of my books. What caught my eye is that the chef roasted the chicken without legs. Now, I just happened to have a legless chicken in the fridge, as I had removed the legs and smoked them.

I have no sorrel, but I thought sage and rosemary could be nice, so I made the butter and tucked it under the skin as instructed. The recipe said it should be ready in 25 minutes.

I took it out after 25 minutes, looked at it, and put it back for another 5 to brown some. It didn't brown all that much, but I left it to stand for 5 minutes and steam-fried some cabbage. When the standing time was up, I cut the chicken and it was still just too pink inside.

So I put it back in the oven for another ten minutes, and gave it some microwave help at 180 watts as well.

After letting it stand again, it was still slightly pink. I cut a thin slice off the top, that was white, and we ate that. The cat got some pink stuff.

It would seem even a legless chicken needs a full cooking time. But the herb butter was nice.

No comments: