Sunday 9 December 2007

Trio of cheese

When I woke up, I scarfed down some cottage cheese, knowing that Paul would not be available for a meal until much later. Much much later, as it turns out, as I have Scrabble on Sunday afternoons at Schiphol airport. I had a Runway Salad at the venue, a nice salad with duck rillettes,smoked duck and walnuts.

Paul fended for himself, eating rolls and cheese. He's getting kinda desperate for bread, so I bought a packet of rolls on Friday.

Dinner was a cheese meel, starting with tomatoes and mozzarella. This is the straightforward classic with oil and basil.


Lots of Belgian Endive in this week's organic bag, so I steamed two, sliced them in half, sprinkled blue cheese and cream over them and stuck them in the oven for half an hour. I think Rozanne Gold gave me the idea a while back, in her wonderful book Cooking 123.



I was really stuck for ideas, so I ended up with cheese soufflé. You don't need flour to make a cheese sauce; just nuke cheese and uht cream in equal volumes. I didn't have uht cream, so I just cooked normal cream together with about twice as much cheese, over the stoveplate, and then beat in the egg yolk. I folded in the white and stuck them in the oven when we began eating the Belgian endive. They worked really well, but couldn't hold up to my fumblings with the camera.

No comments: