Sunday 23 December 2007

Lamb chops with aubergine


Does this look familiar? It's the chopped beef for the moussaka, except I added a whole two tomatoes to it to make it juicier. Paul had his over a slice of bread. I made do with getting carbs from 3 nartjies. Just not the same as having the gravy over bread, though. There's something about bread and gravy...

So that was breakfast. Paul was going to sing in the Messiah and had to be at the Anton Philipzaal by 11am for rehearsals. I joined him there at about 13h30 and we had lunch at Havana. We had to wait a long time and barely had time to eat. I ordered a tomato soup and a chicken and cashew nut salad. I didn't eat much of the soup; I don't think it had too much real tomato in it anyway and given the time constraints the salad looked the safer bet.

We got home well after 6, so my intended lamb stew was once again postponed. For dinner we clocked up another two of the amuses from Albert Heijn, I'm building up a collection of those little glasses. I need 8.

Instead of stew we had lamb chops. I had originally thought these would make a nice Christmas Day course, but that was before I bought the turkey. These I doused with Robertson Barbecue Spice (bless all my friends and family who keep me supplied with this wonderful, unbeateable South African spice mix.)

I FRIED (yes, in lots of oil) some aubergine slices. What the heck, it's low carb, and aubergine is really nice fried. It absorbs so much liquid that normally I par-steamfry it, and then finish it in a little oil. (In fact, if you ever really have to drink half a cup of olive oil for any reason, just put it in a pan, and fry aubergine slices in it. A much tastier way of ingesting neat oil.)

I finished that off with a sprinkling of feta. What better combination?

No comments: