Saturday 29 December 2007

Er, leftover turkey and sauerkraut, take 2

Paul was having a long doze in, so I had half a mango and yoghurt while he slept. Not much of a breakfast, but still a breakfast.

Lunchtime, the sun was shining. It was icy cold out, but the sun was shining. Celebration! I made a salad platter with whatever looked salady in the fridge and some leftover roast salmon.


Dinner was scratchy. No soup, no salad. The same ingredients as last night, except that I had broccoli instead of carrots. And I changed the presentation slightly.

I sliced the leftover turkey breast thinly. I grated some cheese. Then I put a small cylinder (two actually) on some aluminium foil on a baking sheet. (The cylinders are actually bean tins with both ends removed.)

First I put in a layer of thinly sliced turkey. Then a layer of sauerkraut. Then a very thin layer of sour cream and grated cheese. Then another layer of turkey. Another layer of sauerkraut. You have to press everything down firmly so it holds its shape. Very firmly. Then I mixed the grated cheese with some mayonnaise (bought, but not low fat, this won't work with low fat mayo) and topped the creation with that.

I put it in a 180C oven for about 12 minutes until the cheese mayo mixture had melted and looked yummy and bubbly. Took everything out of the oven, transferred the cylinders to plates and sprinkled some steam-fried broccoli florets (yes, the same ones I didn't use for the soup!) around the plate. These were flavoured with salt, black pepper and nutmeg but you could use anything that turns you on. Then it's time to carefully remove the tins and serve the leftovers and everyone thinks you're a brilliant cook.


You could call them Turkey Reuben Stacks if you wanted to be really fancy.

No comments: