Thursday 27 December 2007

Roast Salmon

Breakfast was virtually the same as Christmas day, without the new dish.


Lunchtime I took a single metformin, I think I need to work myself into the lunchtime dose slowly. I had with a mug of leftover soup from last night. I made a courgette carpaccio to follow, that was my salad.

Then I had a sliver of turkey with gravy, a handful of nuts and 2 nartjies. How much is a handful? Well, I weighed it. 10 grams.
A nartjie is a South African generic term for all things mandarin, clementine and the like. Here's what I had, and the size.


The shops were open and I needed some basic stuff like catfood. I trawled through the post-Christmas markdowns and found a side of salmon for roasting. OK it's Scottish salmon, which I normally avoid because the stuff is so full of hormones. But I guess once in a while it can't be too bad.

We started with a broccoli soup, which I made with the thick stalky parts of the broccoli that aren't great to eat as a vegetable. Just cut the stalks off your broccoli and save the florets. Easy. I steamed those until tender. While they steamed I just softened up some onion and celery over a slow heat. I threw the whole lot into the blender with some of the water from steaming and a couple of cubes of frozen reduced stock from the deep freeze, and then reheated it. I served it in glasses with a little cream poured over the top.



Then I made a butternut salad. I peeled a piece of butternut and grated it, then mixed it with some orange zest, orange pieces and the resultant orange juice. Normally I like to do this with passion fruit, but it's winter here and my choices are limited. Raw butternut is fine! Try it!


I did the roast salmon with some steamed and glazed belgian endive. You know, I think I don't like this endive stuff much. It really is a bitter vegetable. I ate the inside bits, and only about half the salmon. It was too much food.

No comments: