Monday 24 December 2007

Duck a l'orange



What better way to start the festive week? Simple scrambled egg, a couple of rashers of bacon, fried mushrooms, a little salad.

Lunch I thought I'd have the leftover garlic prawns and some avocado, but the prawns looked so unappetising as a leftover even the cat wouldn't eat them. So I threw them out and just ate the avocado.

Dinner was quite late as we put up the Christmas tree and made the lounge look festive. It was a duck breast a l'orange from the Albert Heijn festive range. I roasted some vegetables alongside (hint: I use a melon baller to scoop out pumpkin once I'd sliced it in half; much easier than trying to peel the bloody thing, and much prettier than my uneven cubes.)

Roasted veggies are easy and delicious. Take any selection you like, get them into bite-size pieces, put them in a casserole with a cover or a cooking bag, add s&p and drizzle with olive oil. Shake well to coat all the veggies with the olive oil then put in a 180C oven for about half an hour.

I tried some fresh orange slices with the duck. If the oranges had been sweeter (yikes, they were sour!) it would probably have been magnificent rather than OK.

No comments: