Wednesday 5 December 2007

How low-carb is this diet, really?

It's a question that has been worrying me since I got the diet sheet.
I've never seen a low-carb diet with fruit on, because fruit is naturally high in sugar.

Boiling the diet down to what I have eat per day, divided over three meals, I get this:

300 grams meat, chicken, fish, nuts, cheese or egg
800 grams mixed vegetables
500 grams mixed fruit

That excludes any oil for stir-frying or adding onto salads.
Guess we can add

3 tablespoons oil.

I feed that into Mastercook, using chicken for protein, and what do I get?

1517 calories
69.6 grams fat
178.1 grams carb (39.6 grams fibre)
50.8 grams protein

Percentage wise:
40.6% fat
46.2% carbs
13.2% protein

Low-carb? Not! In fact, 178 grams of carb is worth nearly 9 slices of whole grain bread. Hmm.

Better description would be grain-free, starch -free, even high-fibre. But there are carbs a-plenty! Cut out some of that oil, and the percentage carb shoots up way high!

Originally I called this blog The Low Carb Foodie. Now you can see why the name changed.

No comments: