Sunday 30 December 2007

Moroccan lamb


You may have noticed that I've got as bored with my photos as I get with my food and have tried new ways of cropping them. They look so nice when they're large and full screen on my computer, and sort of ... sad... when they're shrunk to a manageable size.
So here's an exciting crop of today's breakfast, ham and mushrooms.

Lunch was the main meal of the day. Paul was starving because the smell of the stew cooking all morning and had been titivating his taste buds.
We finished off the broccoli soup. There was enough to fill the amuse glasses. More like 50 ml each than 500 gram, but it's still a soup course.


Salad. Umm, how about a tomato, feta and olive salad. It's a shared tomato, but it's still a salad!


Then we had the Moroccan Lamb Stew from the Epicurious website. I left out the honey, mainly because I was too lazy to fetch it from the pantry. I don't think 1 tablespoon of honey across a kilogram of meat is going to affect anybody's diet too adversely. I served it with chinese cabbage stir-fried with finely-chopped fresh ginger and garlic. A poor substitute for couscous I know, but needs must...

The lamb was nice. I really like the flavour of the orange coming through. I think it will be stunning tomorrow, after an overnight infusion. I made a full recipe, so there will be plenty of opportunity to test the theory.


Supper was leftovers, in the form of a salmon mousse. This is really easy to make! i took the leftover roast salmon and leftover smoked salmon, and mashed them to a creamy paste in the food processor. You can use just roast salmon, or just smoked salmon, or if you don't have any leftovers, open a can of salmon. What the heck! Then add salt and pepper to taste, and a spoon or so of sour cream, yoghurt or ordinary cream. Voila! Delicious.

Of course, this is fabulous with thinly sliced bread, currently verboten. I used thinly sliced fennel, which is kinda tasteless but crunchy. I guess you could use any firm leaf as well, such as raw Belgian Endive or Little Gem lettuce.

No comments: